Tuesday, September 7, 2010

"Cheap, Cheap" Chicken

For all of you frugal-minded foodies out there, I just thought I'd share my latest discovery on saving money and time in the kitchen! If you cook a whole chicken in a crockpot and then shred the meat, it will yield approximately 3 quart-sized ziploc bags of shredded chicken. Each bag is the perfect amount of chicken to add to a casserole, soup, etc. The process is so simple, I can't believe I haven't been doing it for years! Here's what I do:

Purchase a whole young chicken. Note that this was a double pack for $9.03. That means that each chicken cost me $4.50. Knowing that each chicken will yield 3 quart-sized baggies of shredded meat, that means that a meal's worth of chicken for a family of four is only $1.50!!!

I remove the innards (the only part of this process that I hate!), rinse the chicken, and place it in the crockpot. I pour half of a 32 oz. container of organic, low-sodium chicken broth over the chicken. Cover and cook on low for 8 hours.

After the chicken is cooked, I lift it out onto a foil-lined cookie sheet and let it cool for at least a half hour until it is comfortable to handle. I shred the chicken into a big bowl. I usually do this while having a conversation with my hubby or watching tv. Depending on how old your children are, they can even be involved in the process!

Spoon shredded chicken into baggies, label, and freeze! Voila!

If you do this process four times a month, that gives you 12 meals' worth of pre-cooked, slow roasted chicken to add to whatever is on the menu for any given night! That averages out to three meals a week! It usually only takes me about 30 minutes to fully shred the chicken. Give it a try!

5 comments:

  1. Ok I am going to have to try this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are right on, Julie, this is how we survive in England with the meat being outrageously expensive. We usually do at least one chicken a week and then make stock from the bones as well and freeze for later use. I love the pictures you did to go along with this post. Happy chicken eating!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Julie...
    You remind me of Ree Drummond "the Pioneer Woman"! Are you familiar with her? She always posts pics to go along with her recipes and wonderful and sometimes hilarious comments. Anyway, this is so helpful.
    Bless you!
    Chris

    ReplyDelete
  4. Julie, I cannot wait to try this! Thanks! How do you avoid freezer burn? I put some pear bread in little zipper bags inside a larger freezer bag (generic) and it looks to be freezer burnt already (just baked the bread about 2 weeks ago).

    ReplyDelete
  5. Daniella,

    I have not had a problem with freezer burn so far. After spooning the chicken into the bag, I lay it flat on the counter and smooth out as much air as I can before sealing the baggie. Good luck! :)

    ReplyDelete