Monday, February 10, 2020

Behold


In addition to writing, I enjoy dabbling in photography.  I love to capture beauty, whether it is the shadow of a fern on a wooded path,

or the architecture of a cathedral. 

Photographs help me to remember a moment in time, like my daughter at her dance recital. 

Photography forces me to slow down and really observe my subject, such as the vibrant color and delicate curve of the petals on a flower.

The word “behold” appears well over one thousand times in the Bible.  As I’ve been studying the word blessed, I’ve come across this word several times, so I decided to stop and consider it for a moment.  In the Greek, "behold" means “to gaze with wide-open eyes, as at something remarkable.  Our culture moves at a frighteningly quick pace.  We are constantly bombarded with information, and our attention is often pulled in multiple directions as we scroll on our phones or drive to our next meeting.  To truly behold something, means that we must slow down and focus.  

Let me use photography to illustrate my point.  

We can see flowers,



or we can behold them 



Photography has taught me that in order to capture detail, I must be close to the subject.  If I am photographing a close-up of a flower, I am completely absorbed in the moment.  I am captivated by the vibrant colors and appreciate the intricate beauty of the stamen and the petals. The scent is pleasant and soothing. I adjust my focus within the frame and try to artfully capture the unique beauty I am observing. 

Scripture promises that when we draw near to Him, He will draw near to us.  (James 4:8)  When Jesus visited Mary and Martha, Martha was distracted and rushing around with her preparations, but Mary chose to sit at His feet and listen to His word...to behold her Savior.  The Lord told Martha in Luke 10:42, “but only one thing is necessary, for Mary has chosen the good part, which shall not be taken away from her.”  King David expressed in Psalm 27:4, “One thing I have asked from the Lord, that I shall seek; that I may dwell in the house of the Lord all the days of my life, to behold the beauty of the Lord and to meditate in His temple.” 

In order to know our Savior and learn from Him, we must slow down and take the time to observe and consider Him through the light of His word.  We must draw near and adjust our focus.  

There is great blessing to be found in beholding our Savior!

No comments:

Post a Comment