Monday, January 25, 2010

In Remembrance

On Sunday, January 17, my grandmother went home to be with the Lord. This past Friday was her memorial service. She was such a special woman, and I take great comfort in knowing that I will see her again some day in heaven. Many of her grandchildren submitted memories to be read at the service. Below is the text of my contribution.

Grandma touched my life in so many tangible and intangible ways. In reflecting on her life these past few days, it struck me as quite fitting that she was gifted at quilting. Over the years, she lovingly made beautiful quilts for her children, grandchildren, and great grandchildren. Quilting is a craft that requires time, patience, precision, and an eye for the beautiful blend of pattern and color. Grandma always seemed to have time to listen, play games, and attend special events in the lives of her family. Her life reflected a beautiful pattern of what it means to be a woman of God in her roles as wife, mother, and grandmother. Her life was rich with family and friends, and the one common thread through it all was love -- love for the Lord as well as her family. Just as a quilt displays an intricate blend of pattern and color, so are my emotions as I say goodbye to her for now. I feel sorrow for her death, joy in knowing she is with the Lord, hope in knowing that I will see her again, and thankfulness for the many wonderful memories of time spent with her. I will treasure the quilts that I received from her, and I will treasure her in my heart always.

5 comments:

  1. I'm sorry to hear of the passing of your grandma. My heart is with your family during this sad time. Hugs - Michele

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so very sorry for your loss.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am praying for you and your family and for the healing process! What a great comfort knowing that she is in Heaven with the Lord and that you get to see her again someday!
    Love,
    Bee

    ReplyDelete
  4. The only things I have from my grandmother are her quilts and hand-embroidered pillowcases. One is very special to me. It is a stitching of a little girl praying with roses and angels all around her. Whether it was on purpose or her eyesight was going she forgot to stitch in an angel or two and they are blue drawings on the pillowcase.. I keep saying I am going to finish it for her, your story just reminded me. thanks. Clarissa Stewart

    ReplyDelete
  5. Julie - your Grandma reminds me so much of mine. I lost my Grandma on January 20, 2003 and she also loved to quilt and I also treasure those quilts. Thinking of you and your family as you adjust to life with her looking on from above instead of actively being involved. Lynne Miller

    ReplyDelete