Friday, January 1, 2010

Possessing the Land

The holidays are over and I find myself at the beginning of a new year. To be perfectly honest, this isn't my favorite time of year. Many people find a new year to be a "fresh start" in their lives. I find it to be somewhat daunting. I do not make resolutions. I am aware (sometimes painfully so) of my shortcomings and those areas in my life that need improvement. The last thing I need is to resolve to be better and then inevitably fail again. Some might call this a fatalistic, "glass half-empty" sort of attitude. I call it being realistic. When people make resolutions, it is usually with the coming year in mind. More often than not, the resolve holds for a few months, and then people move on. As a child of God, I try always to view my life with an eternal perspective. The changes that I need should be eternally based.

I read Deuteronomy 11 this morning during my devotions, and was greatly encouraged. This chapter is full of instruction and promise on what the Lord expects from His followers. The very first verse instructs us to "Love the Lord your God, and always keep His charge, His statutes, His ordinances, and His commandments." How's that for a new year's resolution? My spirit resonates with this because I know that by doing this, I will be a living example of Christ to those around me and will be focused on my eternal relationship with Him. Verse 8 states, "You shall therefore keep every commandment which I am commanding you today, so that you may be strong and go in and possess the land into which you are about to cross to possess it." Did you notice the promise in that verse? By keeping His commands, we will be strong and able to possess the land! We are told in verses 11 and 12 that "the land into which you are about to cross to possess it, a land of hills and valleys, drinks water from the rain of heaven, a land for which the Lord your God cares; the eyes of the Lord your God are always on it, from the beginning even to the end of the year." I have lived enough life to know that this year will possess hills and valleys, just like last year and the one before that. What a comfort it is to know that by loving the Lord and following His commands, I will be strong as I head into the new "land" of 2010. As I encounter the hills and valleys that are sure to come, I can rest in knowing that the Lord cares, and that His eyes are always on me.

Colossians 3:1-4 says, "If then you have been raised up with Christ, keep seeking the things above, where Christ is, seated at the right hand of God. Set your mind on the things above, not on the things that are on earth. For you have died and your life is hidden with Christ in God. When Christ, who is our life, is revealed, then you also will be revealed with Him in glory."

It is with these thoughts in mind that I plan to go forth and "possess the land" of 2010.

Happy New Year!

2 comments:

  1. Amen, amen, my dear friend! God is glorious, and He is good and all that we need in the year ahead. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Julie, Thank you for posting such words of encouragement! I really agree with what you said about not setting a resolution, ...why set yourself up for failing and disaster, and then to get discouraged shortly after! I love the verse Colossians 3:1-4. In fact seeing that posted reminded me of such importance to seek God First in ALL things and be in prayer ALWAYS, no matter how small it may seem to us. <3 Heather

    ReplyDelete