Monday, March 29, 2010

Open My Eyes

Scripture defines a man who does not know God as being spiritually blind. Those who accept Christ's sacrifice and walk according to His commands are said to walk in the light. For those who walk in the light, how often do we pause to consider what we look at? We have been given spiritual eyes to see, but do we make choices in how we spend our time based on investing in the Kingdom, or just to fritter away our days? We have been given spiritual sight, and yet we often make choices in our temporal life as if we were still in the dark. 1 John 2:16-17 says, “For all that is in the world, the lust of the flesh and the lust of the eyes and the boastful pride of life, is not from the Father, but is from the world. And the world is passing away, and also its lusts; but the one who does the will of God abides forever.”

God has placed us here on Earth for His purposes. He calls us to live in the world, but not be of the world. He calls us to be separate…to set our minds on things above, not on earthly things. This line of thought has been very heavy on my heart lately. It is hard to be continually Kingdom-minded in all things. Sometimes life can feel like a rat race, and I battle with complacency and selfishness. Even though I have spiritual sight, I think my understanding of Heaven and spending eternity with my Savior is still quite dim. I wonder to myself, “If I really understood the magnitude of living with Christ in His kingdom forever, shouldn’t it be easier to consistently make the right choices now?” I am so thankful for God’s grace, patience and mercy with me. I continue to press on toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus.

There is an old hymn that has been my current prayer lately:

Open my eyes, that I may see
Glimpses of truth Thou hast for me;
Place in my hands the wonderful key
That shall unclasp, and set me free.
Silently now I wait for Thee,
Ready, my God, Thy will to see;
Open my eyes, illumine me,
Spirit divine!

2 comments:

  1. Very well said. I've found myself thinking the same thing often. I want God's presence to be so much stronger than the things of this world. I don't want to lose sight of Him and what He has in store for me. I really need to pray more. My husband preached a sermon once, and said "If Satan can't make you fall, he'll certainly try to make you busy." Isn't that the truth?!

    Thanks for posting this. It is a great reminder for me to press in more to God.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the reminder Julie. It IS easy to get complacent and forget why we're here.

    ReplyDelete