Wednesday, December 4, 2019

Citizenship


Twenty years ago, I never imagined that I would be living in a time when “fake news” is both a common phrase as well as a reality in the American culture.  It has become less about truth, and more about he who screams loudest.  When it comes to American politics and government, corruption is rampant.   I firmly believe that the founding fathers would be shocked and dismayed at what has become of this great nation since its birth.   

While I am disappointed when I consider the political landscape in which I live, I am proud to be an American and realize what a blessing it is to live in this country.  I do my best to be a good citizen.  I pay taxes, obey the established laws, and exercise my right to vote.  If I’m being honest though, I find myself increasingly tempted to throw in the towel and declare that I’m done.  I’m done trying to determine what the truth is when I watch the news.  I’m done with the arguing and vitriol.  I’m done with Twitter wars and Facebook scandals.

Lest you think I am without hope, I assure you that I’m not.  My hope is in Jesus Christ.  I am a citizen of His government, a government of which there will be no end to its increase, and one characterized by peace.  His kingdom will be established and upheld with justice and righteousness forever.  So how do we as believers navigate through the daily onslaught of corruption that is streaming at us through our phones and televisions?  How do we maintain focus and sustain hope? The answer is that we look to Jesus, the Son of God.  He is both God and Man.  

As we enter the Christmas season, we begin to hear music proclaiming His birth.  We read again the Christmas story and marvel at the humble, yet glorious entrance our King made into our world (which He created.)  This year I have decided to read the Christmas story and focus on the humanity of the people involved.  Who were they?  What did they do?  What were their emotions?  Joseph was a good citizen.  He made his way from Nazareth to Bethlehem to obey the decree sent out by Caesar Augustus that a census should be taken.  This was not a quick car ride up the freeway.  It required planning and physical effort. Mary was nearing the end of her pregnancy. It would have been much easier for them to stay in Nazareth near family and friends who could help them. 

I marvel at the sovereignty and power of God in this aspect of the Christmas story.  God moved upon Caesar Augustus to order a census in perfect timing so that Joseph and Mary would be in Bethlehem in order to fulfill the prophecy in Micah 5:2 which states, “But as for you, Bethlehem Ephrathah, too little to be among the clans of Judah, from you One will go forth for Me to be ruler in Israel.  His goings forth are from long ago, from the days of eternity.”  Right here in the Christmas story is a real-life example of Proverbs 21:1 which says, “The king’s heart is like channels of water in the hand of the Lord; He turns it wherever He wishes.”  God is sovereign over all, and that includes governments and leaders.  Whether they acknowledge Him or not, He will bring about His will in all things.  His word always comes to pass. 

What is my role in all of this?  Jesus instructs me to be good citizen.  Render to Caesar the things that are Caesar’s, and to God the things that are God’s.” (Mark 12:17)  I will continue to pay taxes, obey the law, and live peaceably in a land where I am blessed with the freedom to vote, speak freely, and worship my King.  I will no longer strive to determine “truth” (#fakenews) when I already know the Truth.  My hope is in the King who is the way, and the truth, and the life (John 14:6), whose power is not thwarted by man’s ego or corruption, and who uses governments and leaders in spite of themselves, to bring about His word and blessings for His people.

No comments:

Post a Comment