Monday, December 9, 2019

Fear Not


If someone were to ask me to list the feelings most commonly associated with Christmas, I’d probably rattle off love, joy, and peace.  Fear is not usually the first emotion that comes to mind when we think of Christmas, yet when you read the Christmas story, fear is a common thread with the people involved.  Both Mary and Joseph were told not to be afraid.  Zacharias struggled with fear.  The shepherds were terribly frightened when the host of angels appeared before them.

It is also important to note that all of these people were people who loved the Lord.  Joseph was a righteous man (Matthew 1:19).  Mary was favored by God (Luke 1:28) and declared herself to be a bondservant of God (Luke 1:38).  Zacharias was a priest in the Temple and described as one who was righteous in the sight of God and walked blamelessly in all His commandments and requirements (Luke 1:5-6).  The shepherds recognized that the Lord had sent the angels to announce the birth, and glorified and praised God (Luke 2:15, 20.)

It comforts me that these people who were considered righteous and blameless struggled with fear. I have battled with fear for most of my adult life.  I am all too familiar with this particular foe.  Fear and anxiety rob us of joy. The angel came bearing good news of great joy which shall be for all the people. Jesus…Emmanuel…God with us.  He became flesh and dwelt among us, and while He did not fear, He clearly recognized and understood the human propensity for it.

When Zacharias named his son John, scripture records that he was filled with the Holy Spirit and prophesied that Jesus had been sent so that “we, being delivered from the hand our enemies, might serve Him without fear, in holiness and righteousness before Him all our days.  (Luke 1:74-75)  Our Savior and Redeemer was born to save us from our sins and deliver us from our enemies, and that includes the iron grip of fear.  One of my favorite verses in scripture is Isaiah 41:10, “Do not fear, for I am with you.  Do not look anxiously about you, for I am your God.  I will strengthen you, surely I will help you, surely I will uphold you with My righteous right hand.  

There is the Christmas story in the first eight words of this verse.

Do not fear, for I am with you.
Jesus,
Emmanuel,
God with us.

Only by the grace of God and the blood of Jesus, my Savior and King, am I able to stand before God and be declared righteous and blameless.  While I readily admit that I struggle with fear, I also experience love, joy, and peace in my heart this Christmas season.  The Baby born in a manger two thousand years ago is with me, strengthening me, helping me, upholding me with His righteous right hand.  Being reminded of this means that I can serve Him without fear in holiness and righteousness all of my days, for “I can do all things through Him who strengthens me.” (Philippians 4:13)

No comments:

Post a Comment