Friday, February 10, 2012

Five Minute Friday: Trust

Just yesterday I wrote a blog on trust, so when I saw today’s word I had to smile. Perhaps the Lord is indicating that I need to dwell on this topic a little more. There are a few hymns that I remember hearing quite a bit when I was a child, and one of them was “Trust and Obey.” It was always one of my favorites because I loved to sing about being happy in Jesus. Before I began writing today, I looked up the hymn to refresh my memory. It was the fourth stanza that caught my eye.

But we never can prove the delights of his love
Until all on the altar we lay;
For the favor he shows,
And the joy He bestows,
Are for them who will trust and obey.

As I was about to close the hymnal, I noticed a verse listed under the title of the hymn. It reads, “Now if you obey me fully and keep my covenant, then out of all nations you will be my treasured possession.” (Exodus 19:5)

Trust is an all or nothing act. You cannot do a “trust fall” half way. You either choose to fall back into the waiting arms or you don’t. When we accept Christ into our lives, we are to die to self and live for Him. We need to get our agenda, desires, and self will completely out of the way and allow Him to work through us. Too often in the midst of a trial, I try to “help” God, and after botching things completely, I realize that I was acting in my own strength, or perhaps operating out of fear…neither of which is trusting Him.

The words in the fourth stanza line up beautifully with Scripture and resonate truth. If we fully trust and obey Him, He will show favor, bestow joy, and consider us a treasured possession.
*******************
Note to the reader: I did exceed the five minute limit in order to copy the stanza and verse out of the hymnal.

2 comments:

  1. I love this. Just the other day I read that very verse and copied it in my journal. He doesn't want our striving, he wants our trust! Oh, if I could just get that! :) Thanks for your thoughts, Julie!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your encouraging words, Heather! I'm a "striver" too, and I think He has really been driving the lesson of trust home with me lately. :)

    ReplyDelete