Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Book Review: You're Already Amazing

Holley Gerth’s new book You’re Already Amazing never had a chance to collect any dust on my nightstand.  The day I got it, I tucked it in my bag on the way out the door to dropping my children off at AWANA.  I made my way to a local coffee shop, got my favorite cup of coffee and settled into a comfortable chair.  I had been looking forward to reading it ever since I heard about it last October.   I had to smile when in the first few pages of the book, she asks the reader to imagine sitting down to coffee with a close friend.  It is something that she enjoys doing, and I do to.  I felt like I already had something in common with her, and from that point on, it set the stage for the rest of the book.  Her writing style is casual, approachable, and conversational…much like it might be to sit across the table from her in a coffee shop.  As I read, I found myself laughing out loud, nodding in agreement, or just pausing to reflect.

This book is directed to the hearts of women.  Too often we are so painfully aware of our shortcomings and inner faults that we often forget who we are in Christ.  We get so entangled in our feelings of insecurity, inadequacy, and guilt that we begin to listen to the wrong voice and believe things about ourselves that aren’t true.  We forget that we were fearfully and wonderfully made by our Creator, and He loves us with a depth that is difficult to comprehend.    We forget that we are daughters of the King.  As you read through the book, the author reminds you of these biblical truths, poses thought-provoking questions, and offers practical tools to help focus your thoughts on where your strengths and giftings lie.  This book is excellent as an individual study, but would also be a wonderful tool in a mentoring relationship, or in a small group setting.

Recommended reading!

1 comment:

  1. I have the book sitting right next to my computer, have not opened it yet. Will do that very soon.

    ReplyDelete