Wednesday, September 5, 2012

A New Chapter


I've been a mom for 12 years, but today marked a new chapter in my life. 

Today was the first day that I dropped both children off at school.  They are attending a small, private Christian school in the country.  My son attended the school last year and had a wonderful year.  Over the course of the year, we saw his faith strengthen and grow.  They are in a solid, safe, and loving place where they will receive an excellent education, not only in the standard subjects, but in their faith as well.

The morning went smoothly.  They got dressed in the outfits they had selected the night before, ate a nutritious breakfast and even humored me with some "first day of school" pictures on the front porch.  We even left the house at our targeted time (yeah for small victories!).  Once we arrived at the school, my son gave me a quick wave and a "Bye, Mom!" and I helped my daughter get settled in her classroom.

After I left the school, I stopped at the Starbucks in Safeway to get my favorite drink.  I sat there and enjoyed it...for about 20 minutes...which I never do.  I realized that I wasn't ready to go home to an empty house quite yet.  I texted my friend and told her I was feeling a bit strange and unsettled.  She responded immediately and encouraged me to read Psalm 104, which I did. 

After my coffee was mostly gone, I bought some nectarines and a kitchen scrubby (more delay tactics!) and then headed home. 

As I see one chapter closing, and a new one opening today, I'm feeling a little wistful.  I will take my friend's advice and meditate on Psalm 104:33-34.

I will sing to the Lord as long as I live;
I will sing praise to my God while I have my being.
Let my meditation be pleasing to Him;
As for me, I shall be glad in the Lord.

2 comments:

  1. We're starting a new chapter too, Julie. Thank you for these words, and the scripture passed on from your friend. I needed it today!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hear your sentiments!
    (But at least they're
    coming home this afternoon.)

    ReplyDelete