Tuesday, January 1, 2013

From the Beginning

“But the land into which you are about to cross to possess it, a land of hills and valleys, drinks water from the rain of heaven, a land for which the Lord your God cares; the eyes of the Lord your God are always on it, from the beginning even to the end of the year.”  (Deut. 11:11-12, NASB)

This was the text for today’s devotional in Streams in the Desert.  I’ll be honest…this is by far my least favorite time of year.  While others appear excited at the opportunity for a fresh start, I am still trying to emotionally process the year I just completed.  While others have newfound energy to set and embark on new and noble goals, I struggle with lethargy and a general lack of enthusiasm for anything. 

I feel like Eeyore in a crowd of Tiggers.

This morning’s passage encouraged me, though.  Whether viewed within the grander scope of one’s life, or within a narrower focus of the upcoming year, I can be assured that there will be hills and valleys, trials and triumphs. 

The land (my life, this year) is something that God cares for.  He sees it, has plans for it, and wishes for me to possess it. 

He does not intend for me to navigate through it in my own strength (impossible), but in His. 

His mercies are new every morning
His resources are limitless
His grace is sufficient
His power is made perfect in my weakness.


I am comforted and encouraged at the reminder that His eyes are always on me, from the beginning even to the end…

No comments:

Post a Comment