Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Upon this Rock

Two summers ago I was hiking in the Snake River Canyon in southern Idaho when I came upon this rock.  It reminded me of the story in Exodus 17 where the Israelites are complaining because they are thirsty.  God instructs Moses to strike the rock with his staff, and water pours forth.  We see a similar scene again in Numbers 20 where the people are complaining of thirst.  God instructs Moses to speak to the rock, but he strikes it twice.  Numbers 20:11 says, “Then Moses lifted up his hand and struck the rock twice with his rod; and water came forth abundantly, and the congregation and their beasts drank.”  Even though Moses did not follow God’s instruction (for which he paid a heavy price), scripture says that water came forth abundantly and all of the people and their beasts drank.  Can you picture that?  That would have been enough water to meet the needs of a million people plus their animals!

Jesus is both the Living Water as well as the rock or cornerstone upon which the church is built.  1 Peter 2:4-6 says, “And coming to Him as to a living stone, rejected by men, but choice and precious in the sight of God, you also, as living stones, are being built up as a spiritual house for a holy priesthood, to offer up spiritual sacrifices acceptable to God through Jesus Christ.  For this is contained in scripture: ‘Behold I lay in Zion a choice stone, a precious corner stone, and he who believes in Him shall not be disappointed.”

Did you notice in that passage that as followers of Christ, we are living stones being built up in Him?  As I read this passage, I am reminded that not only am I to be growing in the Lord, but my life needs to reflect that foundation upon which everything rests.  When people see into the cracks of my life, do they see Jesus?  Through word and deed, I need to be pouring forth His love to those around me, and leading others to the Living Water that is abundant and will never disappoint.

1 comment:

  1. Broken split right open so the Living water can burst forth from our cracks. Love this Julie.
    I often have to stop and evaluate; is the water overflowing my cup the sweetness of Christ or is it nasty bitterness of self-centeredness?

    ReplyDelete