Friday, November 9, 2012

Five Minute Friday: Quiet

In July, 2006 I went on a missions trip with a team from my church to Lima, Peru. 

I prepared financially.
I prepared my travel documents.
I prepared my heart for service.

What I wasn’t prepared for when I got there was the noise.

















It was jarring and abrasive.

It. Was. Constant.

Horns blaring, brakes screeching, delivery trucks backing up, buses squealing…

Dogs barking on roof tops…

Eventually I got used to it and began to tune it out.

Shortly after I got home, my family went on a trip to Eastern Oregon.  At one point, we stopped on the side of the road and I got out and snapped this picture.

As I stood there, taking in this amazing scene of blue sky and golden wheat fields, I suddenly realized how quiet it was.  There wasn’t even a breeze that day.  I couldn’t hear the wheat rustling, bees or grasshoppers buzzing…just silence.

And in that quiet moment, I thought of the following verse…

“Be still, and know that I [am] God.”  (Psalm 46:10a, KJV)

Whether we find ourselves in the din of the city, or the quiet serenity of a wheat field, we need to remember to seek quiet time with the Lord.  He will meet you where you are, and you will be blessed.

“In all your ways acknowledge Him, and He will make your paths straight.”
  (Prov. 3:6, NASB)

   
 
 
 

5 comments:

  1. Love your post about seeking God in the quiet or loud moments of life. Found you through five minute friday. God bless you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahhh yes! "He will meet you where you are and you will be blessed..." Such a blessing to see you in person again at allume. Your family blesses me daily and I'm so thankful for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jacque! I was so glad to see you at Allume too, and wish we could have carved out more time to chat and get to know each other more. I am thankful for you too, and am blessed when I read your writing! :)

      Delete
  3. Oh goodness!! The noise in the Philippines was the same. constant. din.
    From that noise we moved to a very very busy main road "in the country" here in the states. However, though it was rural, it was the main artery into Lancaster, PA, Amish country. The house was on a hill where there was a steady stream of traffic. 18 wheelers and dump trucks going up and jake-breaking down the hill at all hours, day and night. Not to mention all the loud motorcycles that would rattle the windows as they headed into Amish countryside to see the scenic views. We would often have to stop conversation at our dinner table because the noise was so loud we couldn't hear each other speaking. I never ever got used to it.
    The silence is what I love about where we live now far enough off the main road to not hear the traffic. We are surrounded by cornfields and woods and a gurgling brook which is one sound I will never tire of.

    ReplyDelete