Friday, November 16, 2012

Five Minute Friday: Stay

“Please sit down and eat!”

I probably say this to my daughter at least four or five times during a family meal.  She has a large amount of energy and often has a hard time staying put long enough to eat a meal.  Sometimes her excuses for leaving the table are good…she has to go to the bathroom, she takes the last napkin and needs to refill the napkin holder, or she wants another glass of milk.  Sometimes the excuses are a bit on the flimsy side…she wants to see what the cat is doing, or she realizes that she has lost something and wants to go look for it.  All of the ups and downs drive me crazy!

And then I realize that I’m just like her when I sit down to eat of my daily Bread.  I cringe when I think of how often I sit down to spend time with the Lord, but my mind is all over the place.  I fight thoughts of menu planning, schedule coordination, responding to the beep of the dryer, etc.  The list of distractions is endless.  The pace of life is crazy and hectic, and it is so easy for the insanity to creep into my quiet time with the Lord.  Oh how I need to learn to...

Stay.
“The wilt keep him in perfect peace, whose mind is stayed on thee: because he trusteth in thee.”  (Isaiah 26:3, KJV)


   
 
 
  

8 comments:

  1. I can so relate to this. Both your illustrations. So much so that my mind instantly filled with the image of my own nearly 4 year old and fidgety daughter. Right down to the type of dinner time excuses! And yes my daily bread time. I often said that the greatest spiritual insight I have received as a Christian happened when I had children, simply because they daily remind me how much like a needy, spoiled, and yes fidgety child I am.
    Great post.
    Cheers,
    Leah

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Leah, I so agree! Becoming a mother has taught me SO much about myself as a child of God. It is humbling, and makes me so thankful for His abundant love, grace, and mercy.

      Delete
  2. Great post, Julie! So honest... how difficult it is to stay and be still and turn off the distractions to eat our daily bread.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Our girls must have been knit from the same cloth! Emma finds life to entertaining to sit still for long. I find myself torn between her discovering all the wonder and conforming to the simple practice of being still, especially when I know how hard it is for me! Love your writing my friend, you are a blessing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Danielle! The Lord teaches us through our children, doesn't He? :)

      Delete
  4. We must be sitting in the same chair to eat that daily bread. Got the same problems.
    My issue with my kids is not so much the getting up and walking away from the table as it is the actual sitting in the chair. My oldest son sits like he is squatting on the ground ... what I say to that? You can take the kid out of the Philippines but you can't take the Philippines out of the kid. His knees are always peeking over the edge of the table between him and the table. He does this even at school at the lunch table and in class. He isn't self conscience about it at all! My younger son often eats with one knee on the seat and one foot on the floor. The sister who thinks he is the best big brother in the world is following in his habits.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never really thought about "how" she is sitting, but she does tend to do the "knee on the seat, foot on the floor" position, until I ask her to fully sit down. Too funny! :)

      Delete