Thursday, November 8, 2012

Towering Trials

Last July, our family took a vacation to North and South Dakota.  We took a day trip over the border into Wyoming to hike around Devil’s Tower National Monument.  The circumference of the base is about a mile long.  The trail was relatively flat and we had bottles of water, so it seemed like it would be an easy hike.

It wasn’t.

At the beginning of the hike, I had energy and was enjoying the scenery.  After about a quarter of a mile, the heat began to get to me.  I was thankful for the water I had, and began to seek shady spots to rest in.  I heartily welcomed the occasional cool breeze.  As we moved around the tower, I took note of how the scenery changed as we viewed it from different angles.  By the time I reached the halfway point, I was no longer enjoying myself.  The experience had been reduced to trudging along the trail, placing one foot in front of the other.  I began to realize that I did not have enough water and began to ration it to try and make it last.  I ran out.  By the time we completed the circuit, I was very dehydrated.  My world was spinning and I was unable to walk a straight line.  I had to walk along side my son with my hand on his shoulder to help steady myself.

As I reflect on that day, it occurs to me that I tend to have a similar experience when I encounter trials.  I start out with energy, knowing that the Lord is with me.  As the heat intensifies though, my spirits begin to flag.  I trudge along, viewing the trial from every possible angle.  I feel weak and miserable.  While my Living Water can never run out and there is always an abundant supply available, I forget to drink.  I feel spiritually parched and stagger out of the other end, disoriented and disheartened.  I am thankful for those friends and family who come alongside, and support me in prayer.

Jesus is my strength and source of life.  Not only does He lead me in paths of righteousness for His name’s sake, but He also guides and sustains me through the valleys.

“God is our refuge and strength, A very present help in trouble.”  (Psalm 46:1, NASB)

“Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of mercies and God of all comfort; who comforts us in all our affliction so that we may be able to comfort those who are in any affliction with the comfort with which we ourselves are comforted by God.”
(2 Corinthians 1:3-4, NASB)

3 comments: