Wednesday, November 13, 2013

He Picked You!


Michael!  Robert!  Chris!  John!  Nancy!  Jamie!  Debbie!  Melinda!  Heidi!  Julie.

The classic schoolyard pick.  Whether we were picked first or last, I’m sure we all remember this ritual that unfolded on the playground.  As a rule, I was always last, or among the last to be picked, and more often than not, my name was accompanied with a sigh of resignation.  Admittedly, I wasn't the most coordinated child.  Any game that had the word “ball” in it, and required accuracy in kicking, hitting, or throwing the ball, was not my forte.  Nevertheless, it didn't ease the sting of being “picked” last.

Several weeks ago, I picked up my daughter from school and noted the downcast expression on her face as she climbed into the car.  After gentle prodding, I discovered that there had been a schoolyard pick that day during recess, and she was chosen last.  I had compassion for her, because I knew exactly how that felt.

I tried to reassure her, and realized in the process that there are truths that we as Christians need to be reminded of from time to time.

He knew you before you knew Him
“For Thou didst form my inward parts; Thou didst weave me in my mother’s womb.  I will give thanks to Thee, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made; Wonderful are Thy works, and my soul knows it very well.  My frame was not hidden from Thee, when I was made in secret, and skillfully wrought in the depths of the earth.  Thine eyes have seen my unformed substance; and in Thy book they were all written, the days that were ordained for me, when as yet there was not one of them. (Psalm 139:13-16)

He picked you before you picked Him
“But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us.”  (Romans 5:8)

“But God, being rich in mercy, because of His great love with which He loved us, even when we were dead in our transgressions, made us alive together with Christ (by grace you have been saved), and raised us up with Him, and seated us with Him in the heavenly places, in Christ Jesus.” (Ephesians 2:4-6)

God looks at our hearts
“But the Lord said to Samuel, ‘Do not look at his appearance or at the height of his stature, because I have rejected him; for God sees not as man sees, for man looks at the outward appearance, but the Lord looks at the heart’”  (1 Sam 16:7b)

We are equal in Christ
“The Spirit Himself bears witness with our spirit that we are children of God, and if children, heirs also, heirs of God and fellow heirs with Christ, if indeed we suffer with Him in order that we may also be glorified with Him.”  (Romans 8:16-17)

He loves you!
“The Lord appeared to him from afar, saying, ‘I have loved you with an everlasting love; therefore I have drawn you with lovingkindness.”  (Jeremiah 31:3)

He picked you!

2 comments:

  1. Oh yes! To be picked, chosen, and valued by God...a beautiful reminder Julie! One I needed today. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete