Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Finding Him in the Little Things


"That we ought not to be weary of doing little things for the love of God, who regards not the greatness of the work, but the love with which it is performed." (Brother Lawrence)

I have recently begun to re-read The Practice of the Presence of God by Brother Lawrence. I first heard about Brother Lawrence in college and was so encouraged by his writing. He focuses on how to foster an ongoing relationship with Christ, and to train your mind and spirit to be in a continual conversation with Christ as you move through your day. Sometimes I struggle with finding a consistent time for personal devotions. I am a busy mom with a very fluid schedule. I do, however, spend a lot of my day at the kitchen sink, and this is where I most often meet with my Lord. As I go through the "rinse and repeat" cycle several times a day, I pray. Often I will have worship music on, or perhaps focus on a memory verse. I encourage you to find those areas and pockets of time throughout your day when you can converse with the Lord. My experience has taught me that the more I do this, the more I am blessed and encouraged, even in the little things.

2 comments:

  1. I struggle for personal time too, but I find that the times I put spending time with God first, I have a much better day in store. I need to play worship music more again, like I used to. Thanks for the reminder!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Julie,I read your post on friendship and I just loved it!!! I too have started reading The Practice of the Presence of God and so far have really enjoyed it! GOD BLESS I will check your sight soon. :) Sisters in Christ,Tiffany

    ReplyDelete