Friday, November 18, 2011

Five Minute Friday: Grow

I recently discovered a blog called The Gypsy Mama (http://thegypsymama.com/) where she encourages her readers to write for five minutes on a certain topic every Friday...no editing, no over thinking, no backtracking. I thought I'd give it a whirl this week. The subject is "Grow."

GO.

Grow.
Growth.
Stretching.
Sometimes painful.

He's growing up. It seems like just yesterday I held him in my arms and rocked him to sleep. I have been there through it all...long nights, hospital stays, first steps, boo boos and band-aids, celebrating accomplishments, encouraging him in the rough times, teaching him how to read, teaching him about Jesus.

This year is a transition year, for him and for me. In September he began to attend a private school. I prepared myself for that day, and did pretty well with watching him walk to his classroom with a brand new notebook, freshly sharpened pencils, and a really cool backpack. We were both excited about this new stage in his life.

What I wasn't prepared for was not knowing what he does all day. Having homeschooled him from the beginning, I was so used to knowing everything about his school work and activities each day that it was kind of strange to receive this information in one line snippets through a student planner that I had to sign off on each day. It was a strange feeling, the not knowing. It was a stark realization that I am now at the point in motherhood where I need to begin the process of letting go.

That's painful.
...but it brings joy.
I want him to grow.
He is becoming a wonderful young man who loves the Lord.
I am blessed to be a part of the process of watching him spread his wings and fly.


STOP

Come join the fun!

8 comments:

  1. Such a delight to link up right after you! And so excited for you to joing five minute friday too! I echo the pain in the letting go as my oldest is a sophomore in high school...and you are so right, that although it is painful it does bring joy! May your day be blessed...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your words of encouragement, Jacque! I really enjoyed trying this today, and hope to continue. Have a blessed weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh the pain it must be to watch him grow up! Truly growing pains...Glad you joined the Five Minute Friday group! I am a newby too :) just 3 weeks in :) Miss chatting with you but online will have to suffice... Praying for your heart and the stretching you will be experiencing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Christina! I miss chatting with you too. I wish we lived closer! You have been such an encouragement to me, and I'm so thankful for our friendship! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. We can't believe how much he has grown up! Miss you guys tons. P.S. LOVE that blog, and have been thinking of joining in 5 min fridays when our little miss finally settles down a bit and I can string two thoughts together. xo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Sadie! We miss you guys too. Your sweet little one is so beautiful! I understand the mental fog of those early days. ;) Enjoy each moment...they pass so quickly! (hugs)

    ReplyDelete
  7. That must be so bittersweet...sweet to watch him spreading his wings, but hard to let go!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Jessica! It is hard, but the joy of seeing him grow surpasses it all. :)

    ReplyDelete