Thursday, December 22, 2011

Chocolate Peanut Butter Surprise Cookies

Every Christmas I try a new cookie recipe. Today I made Chocolate Peanut Butter Surprise cookies, and now I am wondering where these have been my whole life!! They are SO good. I got the recipe from Pennies on a Platter. For any family that loves chocolate and peanut butter, I guarantee these won't stay around long!

1 1/2 C all-purpose flour
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. salt
1/2 C granulated sugar (plus more for dipping)
1/2 C packed brown sugar
1/2 C unsalted butter, softened
1 C creamy peanut butter, divided
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1 egg
3/4 C powdered sugar

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.

Stir together the flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt. Set aside.

In a large mixing bowl fitted with a paddle attachment, beat the sugar, butter and 1/4 C of the peanut butter until light and smooth. Add in the vanilla and egg, beating one at a time to combine. Gradually stir in the flour mixture. Set dough aside.

To make the filling, cream together the powdered sugar and remaining 3/4 C of peanut butter until smooth.

To assemble the cookies, spoon a generous tablespoon of chocolate cookie dough and flatten into a circle in your hands. Scoop a small amount of peanut butter filling mixture and place in the center of the chocolate dough. Wrap the chocolate dough around the peanut butter filling, pinching ends together to seal. Roll the cookie in between hands to smooth into a ball. Roll into a bowl of sugar and place on the cookie sheet.

Use the bottom of a glass to slightly flatten the cookies. Bake for 7 to 9 minutes. Do not over bake. Let cool on wire rack.

********
I got two dozen cookies out of this recipe. My only comment would be that there was way too much peanut butter filling left over. You could easily get away with 1/2 a cup of peanut butter and 1/2 a cup of powdered sugar.

Overall I give this recipe a very high two thumbs up, and it is going straight into my cookie arsenal for years to come. Yes, these cookies are THAT good!!!

1 comment:

  1. Oh yummy, those sound SO scrumptious! I'm going to have to copy this one for my recipe book! Thank you for sharing, my sweet friend!

    ReplyDelete