Friday, December 30, 2011

Five Minute Friday: Open

I'm linking with Lisa Jo at The Gypsy Mama for her Five Minute Friday series. She encourages her readers to write for five minutes on a given topic, not worrying about editing, etc. Just write what comes into your mind. The word for today is:

Open

Most people who know me, know that this is not my favorite time of year.

Christmas is over and a year of full of activities is coming to a close. I enjoy reflecting on all that has been accomplished and remembering the good times. It makes me sad to have to take down the twinkling lights and fun décor that add a special touch of warmth to my home.

For whatever reason, January and a new year always feels overwhelming to me. It doesn’t help matters that I live in a region of the country where it is constantly gray and rains a lot…for months on end.

I tend to close down.

That’s why when I saw today’s word, it didn’t surprise me at all that my first thought was “Closed.”

I recognize this about myself, and consciously fight it each year.

I want to be open, but open with intent and purpose.

Regardless of the time of year, I seek to be continually open to:

His abundant grace
His mercies that are new every morning
His faithfulness, day by day, moment by moment
His sovereign control over my life
His blessings

I am open, Lord.
Use me.

4 comments:

  1. Nicely put. I understand feeling closed. It is something I have to consciously fight at time as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. He is using you and you are such a blessing to many! If you ever want to fight the grey skies together, please feel free to call. :) I'd be more then happy to join such a sweet and beautiful person for some girlie time! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for your honesty, Julie. I love your list of what you are open to--it could be my own.
    Blessings!
    Pam
    2 Encourage

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Julie,

    Yes, I know how hard both January and February are for you. But at least this time you will have something very enjoyable to look forward to in both of those months, so hopefully those events will keep you smiling. I suspect the dreary times will whiz by very quickly for you. And that's a good thing. But the main thing is to keep your eyes fixed upon the Lord because He is your joy!(I know you know that.)

    Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete