Thursday, December 8, 2011

Megan's Heart

Two little girls named Marcy and Megan are sisters, and their favorite time of year is Christmas! Each year they look forward to sitting down with the glossy, brightly colored catalogs that come in the mailbox and looking through them. Marcy snuggles up in her favorite chair and begins to flip pages… “I want this one, and this one, and this one…” After she’s done, she hands the catalog to Megan. Slowly, Megan begins to flip through the pages. Periodically, she points and says, “I have this one, and this one, and this one…”

We recently visited a church where the pastor shared this little anecdote with the congregation. The message is obvious, and has been ringing in my ears for weeks now. The Christmas season is upon us. In a season where the world screams, “Consume!” my heart whispers, “Be content.”

“Let your character be free from the love of money, being content with what you have; for He Himself has said, “I will never desert you, nor will I ever forsake you.” (Hebrews 13:5)

His name is Emmanuel…God with us.

He walked among us.

He died for us.

His IS the gift…the only gift we need.

Let us spend this season counting His blessings.

Let us have a heart like Megan.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for your timely reminder to be content :) My children last Christmas were looking through a catalogue and saying, 'I want...' and I realised that probably isn't the best thing for them to be doing because it cultivates covetousness rather than contentment!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your encouragement, Rhoda. Learning to be content is a lesson that I am trying to remember and teach to my children year round! :)

    ReplyDelete