Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Tuesdays Unwrapped: Through the Fog

I live in the Willamette Valley in western Oregon, and every now and then a blanket of dense fog will descend down to the valley floor and hover for a few days. Today was one of those days. It is the kind of fog that delays flights and makes your stress level rise if you have to drive in it because visibility is so limited.

In addition to limited visibility, it left me feeling a little isolated and lonely. Every now and then I would see the faint shadows of birds flying in the treetops. I have no idea what kind of birds they were, but it reminded me of the hymn entitled “His Eye is on the Sparrow.”

Why should I feel discouraged, why should the shadows come,
Why should my heart be lonely, and long for heaven and home,

When Jesus is my portion? My constant friend is He:

His eye is on the sparrow, and I know He watches me;

His eye is on the sparrow, and I know He watches me.


Chorus:

I sing because I'm happy,

I sing because I'm free,

For His eye is on the sparrow,

And I know He watches me.


"Let not your heart be troubled," His tender word I hear,

And resting on His goodness, I lose my doubts and fears;

Though by the path He leadeth, but one step I may see;

His eye is on the sparrow, and I know He watches me;

His eye is on the sparrow, and I know He watches me.


Whenever I am tempted, whenever clouds arise,

When songs give place to sighing, when hope within me dies,

I draw the closer to Him, from care He sets me free;

His eye is on the sparrow, and I know He watches me;

His eye is on the sparrow, and I know He watches me.


Today’s gift was the reminder that no matter where I am, He is with me. Sometimes we can feel like we’re in a mental or emotional fog. Sometimes it is difficult to see what God is doing in our lives, and that can leave us feeling isolated and unsure. In order to navigate through my physical world today, headlights were a necessity. As long as I have His light shining on the path in front of me, I know I can trust Him to get me safely where He wants me next.

Being reminded of His constant care and love today felt like a warm, snuggly blanket on a cold, foggy night.

**Linking with Emily at Chatting at the Sky

5 comments:

  1. Thank you! Such encouragement on s cold foggy day and a reminder that God is watching over us always. Brings peace to my troubled heart. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that hymn. What a beautiful reminder. Thanks!

    I live in Chicago (coming here from Emily's), and we have days, weeks even, of cloudy skies and no sun. I completely understand what you mean about feeling isolated. :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yesterday was very cold and foggy. Felt like it just hovered over us with a deep chill.
    I live in the willamette valley too and it was COLD. Also I love love love that song...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really like how you compared real fog to an emotional or metal fog. How true. Sometimes our life seems blanketed by a thickness that we just can't see through.

    Beautifully written.

    ReplyDelete