Thursday, December 22, 2011

Out in the Fields

"And in the same region there were some shepherds staying out in the fields, and keeping watch over their flock by night." (Luke 2:8 NASB)

Oregon has an abundance of sheep. Every Sunday on the way to church, we often see sheep grazing in the fields. It occurred to me that in all the years of travel to church, I have NEVER seen a shepherd out there! These days, most farmers rely on fences to keep their sheep safe and together. Jesus is often referred to as the Good Shepherd. He isn't trusting other things to keep us safe, He is in the field with us, keeping watch over us!!!

John 10 reveals what He does for us as our Shepherd:

"...he calls his own sheep by name, and leads them out" (John 10:3)
He knows us by name (personal, intimate)
He leads us

"When he puts forth all his own, he goes before them" (John 10:4)
He protects us

"I am the door, if anyone enters through Me, he shall be saved, and shall go in and out, and find pasture" (John 10:9)
He provides salvation
He gives us freedom
He provides our needs

"I came that they might have life, and might have it abundantly" (John 10:10)
He gives us eternal life

Isn't this wonderful?!?! I am rejoicing anew at the birth of our Savior, Jesus Christ.

Merry Christmas!

2 comments:

  1. Indeed it IS wonderful! Full of wonder...Holy is He! Thank you so much for sharing your insights concerning the earthly shepherds in the field--and our Great Shepherd, Jesus Christ. You have blessed my heart greatly today, Julie, and lifted my heart from sadness.
    Christmas is hard for me. Thank you for the refocus.

    Love,
    Bron

    ReplyDelete
  2. So encouraging Jules, This painted a clear picture and it made so much sense to me and now I will remember this post you did each time passing by those sheep! Thank you for sharing this with everyone, this is so uplifting! :)

    Love Heather

    ReplyDelete