Friday, December 16, 2011

Five Minute Friday: Connected

I'm linking with Lisa Jo at The Gypsy Mama for her Five Minute Friday series today. She encourages her readers to write for five minutes on a given topic, not worrying about editing, etc. Just write what comes into your mind. The word for today is Connected.

*****
Connected.

The phrase, “It’s all about who you know” comes to mind.

Just yesterday I received an email from my mom. She reminded me that if my grandmother (her mother) were still alive, she would be 108 years old. She wrote that she was thankful for her mother’s influence in her life.

I remember going up to Grandma’s farm in the northern panhandle of Idaho every summer when I was little. At night, after I got my jammies on, I would go into the living room and sit on the couch across the room from her. I remember her head bent over her Bible and the glow of the lamp on her face. After she had read for a bit, she would close her Bible and begin to braid her long hair. I watched this happen many nights over the years of summer visits.

I remember walking through the kitchen at home as a pre-teen and teenager. It would often be dark except for the light on the stove. My mom would be sitting at the kitchen table with a cup of tea, and the radio on the table would be tuned to a station where she could listen to sermons and meditate on the Word. Again, I remember many nights of this.

Throughout my life I have witnessed these two women connecting with their Savior.

As each year passes, I realize more and more how vital this spiritual connection is, both to maintain for myself, as well as to pass on to my children.

They led by example.

They taught me the most important thing that anyone can know…

It really is all about Who you know.

4 comments:

  1. I appreciate your thoughts about spiritual connectedness. You are blessed to have such a wonderful heritage.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Julie,

    This is just a beautiful, touching expression of thanks to God for giving you an environment from birth and early childhood where God was glorified and His Word read, heard, believed, honored, taught, and obeyed (even though not perfectly, "For he knows our frame; he remembers that we are dust." Psalm 103:14)

    Psalm 103:14 is an incredibly comforting verse! Isn't it? Who among us of mothers does not at times feel an overwhelming sense of weakness and failure, realizing how far short we fall every day?

    Frustration over undone tasks, the self-pitying grumble, the sigh, the sharp, unkind word, the rolled eyes, the rush of trying to meet countless demands that crowd our consciousness, the misplaced priorities,--all of these are foes which plague Christian mothers' desires to live lives of obedience to His Word. Remembering that one definition of sin is "missing the mark," we must admit that we sin every day. Now would be a good time for you to go back and read Psalm 103:14 again. ... Comforting isn't it?

    Let me tell you a story, Julie. This one would be about the "rushing to meet countless demands" and "misplaced priorities" mentioned above. When you were seven or eight years old, I had a very stressful day of "busyness" and was hurrying the family through dinner so that I could get to a women's meeting on time.

    When I got home much later, after your Dad had already tucked you into bed, I found the card you had made for me with the hand-drawn, colored picture on the front. The message you had printed inside put a lump in my throat which I've never forgotten. It said in so many words, "Dear Mom, I just want to say that I love you. I wanted to tell you before you left. But you were in a rush. So I hope you like the card. Love, Julie"

    I would guess that you probably don't even remember that; but your blog post shares that you do remember how much I treasured and valued meditating on the Word of God! I was so blessed and encouraged by your account which connects back even to my Mom before me. Thank you! As you indicated, the influence that we both thank God for will continue through your own love for the Scriptures to influence your own children as well.

    That is the grace of God and His intention when He established the institutions of marriage and the family. That is what He had in mind when He commanded "And these words which I command you today shall be in your heart. You shall teach them diligently to your children... (Deuteronomy 6:6-7)" That is why He wrote Isaiah 40:8 with all that it implies and promises: “The grass withers, the flower fades, but the word of our God stands forever."

    So to you, and to all other Christian moms, when the duties of motherhood drain you and the press of life weighs heavily upon you, remember that God is faithful even though you may fail. As you learn Scripture yourself and then teach your children diligently all the Words of the Lord, He will use your influence for His purposes in the lives of your children~~and others as well!

    Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for taking the time to post such a thoughtful and encouraging response, Mom. I got a little choked up reading it. I am hoping that anyone who reads this will be blessed and encouraged by your words. I know I was.

    ReplyDelete